I’m taking the plunge folks – I’m going to invest in a new sewing machine! It’s been almost a year since I picked up a needle and thread for the first time and my love for sewing has only grown so I think it’s high-time I got some new kit. Don’t get me wrong, I love my current machine but it’s pretty limited. When I proclaimed to Ian that I wanted to start sewing, he was pretty sceptical as I have been known to make grand, spur-of-the-moment decisions and then go off the idea a month later. Ever the pragmatist, he encouraged me to go for a low-end machine to start with, with the hope of upgrading once I knew it was something I would stick with. I sure showed him.
*sidenote* My first machine was from Ikea and I can’t recommend it enough for budding sewists.
1 year down the line and countless broken needles later, I’m ready for a big girl machine! It was all fine and well committing to the idea but my problem now is deciding exactly which one to buy! Here are some of the MANY thoughts and questions floating about my head right now:
- Which brand should I get? A Singer is a classic, but then a lot can be said about Janome. What about a Brother? Is it just the new kid on the block and will inveterately cut out after a few years? Who the hell is Bernina?
- Do I really need a computerised machine?
- Yes, I want a computerised machine they’re so cool!
- But what if I get a computerised machine and they’re too complicated to work?
- Sack that! I’m an intelligent wo-man who is a dab hand with gadgets if I do say so myself.
- What’s my budget?
- Where do I buy it from? Is Amazon an appropriate place to buy a sewing machine?
- I’m hungry.
- Is there some place that will let me play about with their machines?
- WHY DON’T I KNOW ANYONE THAT SEWS?
- What about accessories? How many feet do these things come with?
- Do I really need access 140 different stitches when I currently use about 3?
I have little to no idea what I want. Google has only taken me so far, but from my extensive research I think I have narrowed it down to 2 machines – the Janome SM3000 and the Brother AS40. I’m leaning towards the Janome model purely based on the amazing reviews it has. It is more expensive than the Brother but I think I would rather pay a bit more and get a machine that will last 10+ years. On the other hand the Brother machine has a built-in light which I’ve been spoiled with in my current machine… WHAT TO DO?!
If anyone reading this has either of these machines please let me know what you think of them. Or if you have a machine that you love let me know and I’ll add it to the list for consideration. I want to buy from Sewing Machines Direct because of their extended guarantees but apart from that I’m open to suggestions. I definitely need as much help as I can get!