After a weekend of some intense DIY, we have made some great progress on my Mum’s guest bedroom! I shared the mood board here if you would like to have a look at the original plan but I think it’s safe to say we’ve slightly deviated! The main task was to get the walls and furniture painted which doesn’t seem like too much of a task, but add to that a DIY striped wall and things start to get tight! Thankfully it all went pretty smoothly so let me share some of the progress that we made.
This was our blank slate. Before I even got there my Mum, Dad and Nana had stripped the walls, added cornicing and put up new lining paper. On Saturday morning we went to B&Q to choose paint colours and we decided to go for ?? as the base colour and Chartreuse Frost for the accent stripes. The rest of Saturday was spent painting the walls with ?? and we also used this colour for the wardrobe and drawer unit.
On Sunday, it was up to me to tackle the accent wall! Thankfully it was pretty straightforward and I managed to finish it in a couple of hours. I know there are a million tutorials on how to do a DIY striped wall but here I am, throwing in my two cents! First, I measured my wall (which was 238.5cm) and decided that it would look best with 9 stripes at 26.5cm each. I then gathered all my supplies: A tape measure, a BIG spirit level, a pencil, frog tape and some cardboard. I measured and cut the cardboard so that it would be the exact width of my stripes. This meant that I wouldn’t have to faff about with a tape measure and probably do myself an injury.
With my pencil and template, working from the top of the wall down, I marked out the placement of the stripes and then joined up my marks with a spirit level. I can’t tell you how handy it was to have a really long spirit level for this! Once the lines were drawn, I got to work with the taping.
Another thing that made this job a breeze was the frog tape! It has a really clean edge and doesn’t loose it’s stickiness like regular masking tape. The trick with this step is to tape outside of the lines that you’re going to paint. Hopefully the picture below will give you a better idea of what I mean.
Once all of the lines and sides of the wall were taped off, I went over them with a light coat of the base colour (you can kind of see this in the above image too). This ensured that if there was any bleed under the tape, it would be the base colour and therefore unnoticeable. Then I simply painted my stripes with a small roller in the accent colour and left to dry for only 10 minutes before removing the tape. Doing this while the paint is still slightly wet meant that I wouldn’t risk peeling off big chunks of dried paint with the tape and I have to say it worked like a charm!
It’s so hard to photograph properly especially with just the camera on my phone but hopefully you get the idea. There were a couple of touch-ups to do where I got a little roller happy but I’m really pleased with how it turned out! I’m heading back there in 2 weeks to finish off the job so check back then to see the end result… It’s going to be a beaut!