OH HAI STRANGERS. I took an accidental hiatus over the past 10 days and have come back with a bit of a blog re-design. Do you like it? I was getting a bit bored of the old look so I designed myself a new logo and gave everything a fresh coat of (white) paint. I do love that I have the knowledge to do that kind of thing myself – who knew random university modules would actually come in handy! I’m feeling refreshed and revitalised and I’m jumping back in with a very recent make. In June, By Hand London released their latest pattern and I couldn’t wait to make it. Funnily enough on the day that it was released I also managed to nab a few metres of ombre fabric which I’ve been after for a while. To say the two were a match made in heaven is putting it lightly. After a few sessions of sewing, I have my very own ombre Zeena dress.
If you could see my face right now, it would be a big heart eyes emoji. Now I’m definitely stepping out of my comfort zone with this make in terms of style. I very rarely wear colour, and when I do it’s usually still quite dark tones. That’s what I’m comfortable in every day but I liked the look of this pink ombre fabric so much that I threw caution to the wind and I’m so glad I did! It’s so pink and girlie that Ian did a double take when I flounced in wearing it. I think this fabric is perfect for the Zeena dress pattern as it has a lovely drape on its own which fits in with the relaxed fit of the dress.
Speaking of the pattern, I had basically no problems putting it all together. there was 1 MASSIVE human error though… I forgot to do a full bust adjustment! I was so excited to made the damn thing that I totally forgot about altering the pattern and cut straight into my fabric. I could have kicked myself and I won’t lie, there were some frustrated tears because I also realised I didn’t have enough fabric left to re-cut it with the ombre going the right way. After I calmed down I had another look at some of the scraps and there was enough left to make 2 panels to insert into the back of the bodice before the zip. It’s not an ideal fix considering that in my haze of tears I cut the strips unevenly -_- but at least the damn thing fits me in the boobage area. Also I’m giving myself a 9/10 and a pat on the back for that invisible zip.
I also think I need to shorten the back by about 1 inch as there’s a fair bit of fabric pooling at the bottom. Is there an actual name for this? Answers on a postcard please 🙂 The skirt was absolutely fine but I did end up tapering the seams to take some of the fullness out of the skirt as it was a bit too poofy for my liking. Speaking of seams, I actually underlined the whole dress with anti-static lining because the shell fabric wasn’t quite opaque. It was an extra bit of work but at least all of my seams are finished which is a nice change from my usual once over with the pinking shears.
When I first seen this frock in my head I wanted the ombre to work it’s way seamlessly down the dress but I just couldn’t get it to work out. I was left with an inconsistency between the bodice and skirt which started to bug me so I decided to hide it with a bow belt. I mean if this dress wasn’t already girlie enough sticking a bow belt on it definitely set it over the edge. I’m calling it toddler chic.
I had a quick scan over the tutorial from Tilly and the Buttons and set to work. 20 minutes later I had a fully-functional bow belt. I was going to fasten it as recommended but I really hate snaps so at the last gasp I opened up the side seams and poked it in there. That way I don’t have to worry about fastening it (or it popping open) but I still have the look of a belt – best of both worlds.
I can’t say it’s something I’ll wear every single day but I smile every time I see it hanging in my wardrobe. Maybe there’s some colour in my soul after all!